Friday, July 3, 2009

Datasheet view read-only

Scenario:
This was a new thing I discovered while helping my friend to fix a small problem he was facing while editing his list in Datasheet view. Problem was that he can edit all the other lists in Datasheet view mode except the one he had for which Datasheet says its in Read Only mode.



Solution:
I started comparing all the properties of the list with a regular list. Content Approval was the culprit. Actually Content Approval locks the list to Read Only in Datasheet view. The fact that items can be in a pending or rejected state can be too confusing for that view.

3 comments:

Anonymous,  July 24, 2009 at 9:01 AM  

Hi-Whats the fix for this issue as I still need content approval but want to edit in datasheet

Sandeep July 25, 2009 at 8:27 PM  

Unfortunately as per microsoft thats something is by design and that why there is no fix. You might want to write your own interface for multi-approval. Also I have seen a bulk approval solutions online sometime's back, so try finding it.

Gene Vangampelaere March 15, 2011 at 9:15 AM  

Thanks for sharing. You helped me a lot!