Friday, January 23, 2009

File name and folder name restriction

Scenario:
I was trying to upload a file in a document library and got following error.

Error : The specified file or folder name is too long. The URL path for all files and folders must be 260 characters or less (and no more than 128 characters for any single file or folder name in the URL). Please type a shorter file or folder name.

Solution:
Error is self explanatory.SharePoint has file name / folder name and Url length limitation. So better have small names and avoid spaces in naming list / document libraries and file names also. Each space get encoded to %20 and occupy three characters.

1 comments:

Liam Brown,  January 5, 2018 at 2:41 AM  

If the solution doesn't work, I suggest installing Long Path Tool program. It's effective and efficient to use. I hope this helps because it helped me a lot. My friends recommended it to me so I'm recommending it to people who faced the same problems as I did.